
So sorry for slacking on the posts as of late. I was on a much needed vacation. Although I had grand plans of not seeing ONE horse while away, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with them and actually enjoying it. Seems I just cannot stay away from them no matter how hard I try. It is, however, much different when they are not your own and you don't have things to worry about like flooded barns, broken water pumps, frozen hoses, empty water tanks, hay shortages, and manure management. (I never expected to feel so refreshed not having to worry about horse poop).

For those who didn't know, I escaped the frozen tundra of Minnesota for seventy degree New Mexico. Albuquerque to be exact. It was a spur of the moment decision to visit someone I hadn't seen in many years. Although I missed my daughter and maybe Matilda the mini donkey, I must say I did not want to come back. It was sunny every day and I reluctantly returned sporting a killer farmer's tan. Albuquerque was amazing. I enjoyed nearly every minute, climbing around mountains, basking in the sunshine, and tossing rocks in the Rio Grande. I enjoyed the adobe architecture and the cultural history and I love the fact you can have horses in your own back yard. Nothing like Scott County Minnesota's stuffy zoning restrictions. I could appreciate the unique beauty of the desert combined with the towering Sandias Mountains. The company wasn't bad either.

While on vacation, I also took the time to drive up to Denver for a couple days to visit friends. We rented horses and plodded along through the Garden of the Gods. It was relaxing to hop on an old, deadbroke trail horse and not have to worry about what was hiding behind the next rock waiting to eat him. A refreshing break, and quite the difference from riding off-the-track Thoroughbreds.
So now I'm back to the snow and cold, broken water pumps, frozen hoses, flooded barns, empty water tanks, hay shortages, and yes.... poop.
Welcome home!
No comments:
Post a Comment