Today the thermometer near the fire station in Elko read 62. Sunny skies with a nice breeze. Ahhh spring is here.... finally. After what seemed like an unusually long (and very trying) winter it felt nice to be in a tee shirt. Although I am extremely happy with the warmer weather, I am not so thrilled with the thawing and the mud that comes with it. After battling a flooded barn for nearly a month, it was time to finally get down to digging out. The two inches of water that had covered the entire floor of the barn left a disaster of ruined hay, shavings, feed bags, supplies and 4 saturated stalls. Overall we lost nearly $250 in this flood, pale in comparison to the devastation caused by Japan's tsunami, but unfortunate nonetheless. As a struggling non profit organization, every penny counts for us and $250 leaves a substantial hole.
In addition to the springtime thawing and mud come the shedding horses. You can brush a horse for an hour with a shedding blade and still be pulling off the same amount of hair as when you began. I do believe today I collected enough hair to make myself a fully insulated parka and snowmobile suit. I sure wish there was a market for that - with 8 horses I'd have that cornered.
Anyway you look at it, the horses look goofy. One mare of ours in particular resembles more of a yak rather than a Thoroughbred. She is currently available for adoption if anyone is interested.
I did do a bit of research on yaks and found them to be very interesting creatures. For example:
![]() |
| You can go Yakback riding |
![]() |
| You can pack your yak |
![]() |
| You can have a yaksack race |
![]() |
| You can buy matching yak tack |
![]() |
| You can have an attack yak You can race at the local yak track And you can go to a yak rodeo |
I think with the versatility of the yak, I may be on to something here. That said, I'm done yakking. (sorry, I couldn't help it)








No comments:
Post a Comment